Please use the following information as a guide to navigate you through the TDCJ Marriage Process. We will help you as best as possible. However read through the information herein. Provide the information we need and we will assist you along the way.
To get married in TDCJ you must follow the following steps.
1. Obtain a rate quote for services from Wife and Inmate Connection. Please email us or use our online marriage rate quote form. To obtain the best information from us please do the following: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Include the following information in your email;
When are you traveling to Texas and trying to get married? An estimated date is acceptable. The entire TDCJ marriage process can take about 90-120 days from start to finish.
Include the unit name/location for pricing.
Include the county where you will buy your marriage license. (If you do not know what county you will use, from our professional experience we recommend using Dallas County in Dallas, Harris County in Houston, Bexar County in San Antonio, or Potter County in Amarillo, if possible. You do not have to use these counties. However if you find yourself flying into one of these major cities, we encourage it.
2. Have your incarcerated loved one request a copy of their TDCJ inmate ID. They should turn in an I-60 to the law library and say something such as, “I would like to request a copy of my inmate id card for marriage purposes.” Obtaining the inmate id card copy is the longest part of the entire process. It takes about 4-6 or even sometimes 8 weeks of time. When the id is obtained, your incarcerated loved one should mail it directly to you.
3. When hiring (making a down payment), Wife and Inmate Connection we mail your loved one a marriage packet that includes specific detailed information. You receive this same information electronically.
4. Facts about purchasing the marriage license: When you arrive in Texas you will need to purchase a marriage license before you can be married. Texas law requires that once you purchase the marriage license, you wait 72 hours before you can be married. This waiting period can be waived. Here are some options for you: - Arrive to Texas in advance, buy your marriage license and wait the 72 hours to be married. - Purchase your marriage license and go before a judge; He/She has the capacity to waive the 72 hour waiting period. You will have to research this method on your own. We cannot guarantee a judge’s approval. - Texas law allows you to take a premarital education course; course completion will earn you a certificate with state waiver. Wife and Inmate offers a state approved premarital education course.
5. What is required to purchase a marriage license? You must have your passport or (United States) state DPS/DMV Driver’s license or id card. You must have the copy of the TDCJ inmate id card. Lastly, you must have your loved one fill out an absent affidavit form and have them get it notarized. The absent affidavit form typically expires 30 days from the date of the notary for most counties. Therefore, your loved one must wait until your travel arrangements are about a month away from your ceremony date with TDCJ before requesting the document be notarized. They will also have to make certain it is mailed to you in a timely manner prior to travel.
6. Requesting a wedding ceremony should be done after the TDCJ inmate id has been mailed to you and approximately 8 weeks away from your tentative ceremony date. Your loved one should turn in an i-60 to the law library and say something such as, “I would like to request a wedding ceremony. My bride’s/groom’s name is _____. My wedding officiant’s name is ____. My spouse is traveling out of state or internationally, can we please request the date of ___/___/___ if approved." Most units have specific set dates that they allow TDCJ weddings to be performed, such as the 1st and 3rd Wednesday or the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month. Please contact us first and we will advise you which days of the month the unit allows wedding ceremonies! This will help you determine your estimated date of marriage.
7. Always email or call us to ask any questions you may about the process. We will help you determine exactly what you need to do to get married to your incarcerated loved one. Phone: 281-849-1539 Email: email@example.com
If you are interested in taking a premarital education course Wife & Inmate Connection is a registered provider for the state qualified Twogether in Texas Premarital Course. Both you and your spouse must complete the material.
Wife and Inmate Connection recommends you take our premarital course if you are seeking to have the 72 hour waiting period waived to be married.
Ready to get Started?
1. Please obtain a rate quote for your loved one's unit
In order to hire Wife and Inmate Connection for wedding services, we require a down payment of $25.00. This down payment will be applied towards your fee for officiant services.
Please Note: If you choose to cancel or void marriage services with Wife and Inmate Connection, this fee is non-refundable under any circumstance.
Once payment is made you and your incarcerated loved one will receive a full marital packet of information from Wife and Inmate Connection.
Please include your incarcerated loved one's information in the notes section at check out.
Optional - Twogether in Texas Premarital Course
This course is optional for clients. However we highly encourage you and your loved one to complete the course if you are attempting to waive the 72 hour waiting period to be married. More information can be found on the client guide in your purchase.
2019 Twogether in Texas Premarital Education - Correspondence Course (Rate is Per Couple)
Want to take a premarital education course before you get married? We are a registered provider for the Twogether in Texas Marriage Program. Upon completion of this course, you will earn a $60.00 dollar credit off of your marriage license at the County Clerk's Office, you will be able to avoid the 72 hour waiting period to get married, and each couple earns 2 certificates. One certificate is to be presented at the time of purchasing the marriage license. The other certificate is a course completion certificate in which your loved one can submit with their parole review or packet.
This course is designed to cover a variety of topics and includes the following:
- Personal Wellness - Personality Scopes - Communication - Individuality in a Marriage - Relationship Roles & Marriage Expectations - Financial Management - Sex & Intimacy - Goals
Please note your shipping charge is included and you will receive addressed postage paid envelopes to return all correspondence to us. This also covers paid postage charges to ship your Twogether Marriage Certificate that you will need to obtain the discounted marriage license rate. You have exactly one year to purchase your marriage license to receive a discount from the day we issue your certificate.
When you add to cart please provide your shipping information in the shipping section. Please provide your incarcerated spouses name, id number, and address in the notes portion of the checkout page.
3. Please fill out our online application
Please fill this out after you have received a rate quote for services. Please have a copy of your identification card, driver's license, or passport ready to submit with this application.